- Channa/Gram Dhal - 1 cup
- Red Onion - 1
- Garlic - 4/5
- Ginger - 1 tbsp
- Green Chilli - 1
- Crushed Red Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 branch
- Asafoetida - One small pinch
- Salt - To Taste
- Oil - To deep fry
- Soak gram dal for about an hour. Finely (I mean, very finely) chop Onions, Green Chillis, Garlic, Ginger & Curry Leaves
- In a mixie/blender, coarsely grind the soaked dal with the crushed red pepper
- When its done, add the above finely chopped items to the ground mixture with salt and asafoetida
- Now, take a ping-pong sized ball of this mixture and place it on a ziploc sheet (or vaazhai ilai, literally speaking) and pat to flatten it (You can sing this song though!)
- Slowly, drop the patted vadai in boiling oil. Keep the stove in medium flame so that you'll let the vadai cook properly and turn golden brown as well.
- Serve with Coconut/Mint Chutney and put on a lot of weight!